Don’t waste that leftover turkey on a boring old sandwich, think outside the box and try these delicious recipes to make the most of it! With everyone’s purse strings much tighter than normal this year, it really is important to think outside the baking tray and get your money’s worth. We’ve rounded up our top three delicious recipes that are sure to keep bellies full right into 2023.
Festive turkey croque-monsieur
40g unsalted butter,
40g plain flour
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
8 slices of white bread
100g Gruyère cheese
400g leftover free-range cooked turkey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 7.
- On a low heat, melt the butter in a saucepan until foamy and then stir in the flour. Cook for 3 minutes. Pour in the cold milk and whisk well to avoid any lumps.
- Raise the heat and leave to simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the mustard and crumble in the Stilton.
- Line the bread on the work surface and spread 4 slices with cranberry sauce, then Stilton sauce and grate over half the Gruyère.
- Top with turkey and sandwich with the remaining bread. Press lightly, then spread the 4 tops with the remaining sauce and finish by grating over the remaining Gruyère.
- Bake until the cheese melts and the sandwiches turn golden brown. Serve with a fresh green salad.
Leftover turkey loaded nachos
250g shredded roast turkey
1 ½ tsp fajita seasoning
½ lime (juiced)
170g lightly salted tortilla chips
200g tomato salsa
150g grated cheddar
4 spring onions (sliced)
150g soured cream
50g pickled jalapeños.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C/gas 6.
- Combine the turkey, fajita seasoning and lime juice and set aside.
- Arrange half the tortilla chips over a large baking tray in a single, even layer.
- Spoon over half the turkey mixture, half the salsa, half the cheese and half the spring onions. Top with the remaining tortilla chips, then repeat with the rest of the turkey mixture, salsa, cheese and spring onions.
- Bake for 15-20mins until the cheese has melted and everything is warmed through. Spoon over the soured cream and jalapeños before serving.
Easy leftover turkey curry
1 tablespoon olive oil:
1 medium onion:
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 tsp chilli flakes
3 cloves garlic (crushed or grated)
3cm ginger (grated)
3 tsp garam masala
3 tsp turmeric
500g leftover turkey (shredded or cubed)
200ml coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste
- Place the oil, onions and peppers (sliced) in a wide, deep pan and cook over a gentle heat (lid on) for 5 minutes, or until softened but not brown.
- Add the chilli, garlic, ginger, garam masala and turmeric and fry gently for 2 more minutes (add a very small splash of water from the kettle if it gets too dry).
- Add the turkey, passata, coconut milk, salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Turn down low and simmer for 10 mins until the sauce has thickened slightly and the turkey is piping hot.
- Serve with rice and/or naans and all your favourite accompaniments.