Aberdeenshire mum and Foodie Quine blogger Claire Jessiman demonstrates that there’s so much more that you can do with oats and oatmeal than simply make porridge…
Spiced Oaty Chicken Goujons
An eternal kids’ favourite, forget the shop-bought frozen variety and treat the family to this healthy oven-baked take on chicken nuggets made with a lightly-spiced oaty-crumb coating of Hamlyns Scottish Porridge Oats and Hamlyns Scottish Oatmeal.
450g chicken breast mini fillets
100g Hamlyns Scottish Porridge Oats
50g Hamlyns Scottish Oatmeal
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
50g plain flour
2 free range eggs, beaten
1. Preheat your oven to 180c
2. Combine the oats, oatmeal, smoked paprika, cumin, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
3. Sieve the plain flour into a second bowl.
4. Beat the free-range eggs in a third bowl.
5. Coat each chicken breast mini fillet with flour, then dip it into the beaten egg and finally into the oaty mixture making sure it is fully covered.
6. Place the goujons on a baking sheet and spritz them with spray oil. 7. Bake for 25-30 minutes in total, turning and spritzing again after 15 minutes. After 25-30 minutes, the oats will be starting to brown and the chicken will be cooked through. 8. Serve with your favourite dips.
You’ll find lots of breakfast ideas and other tasty recipes using porridge oats and oatmeal at hamlynsoats.co.uk